Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rescues: Rubble & Fred

Rubble, I'm happy to report, had a very big week in terms of progress.  We worked almost exclusively in the lobby, rather than in his kennel as we have done.    We've started drilling Touch Recalls.  These are crucial for the daycare staff to be able to grab him whenever needed.  The way this works is:  I call his name when he is away from me, he turns to look at me for direction, and I cue "Come, Touch" while extending two fingers.  His job is to come right to my fingers and touch them with his little nose.  He has begun appropriately responding faster and faster as he's gained confidence.  He even let me do a collar grab!  I am now able to stand up while we do this exercise, something unthinkable in the beginning.  The sheer height of a human was too scary for him to function.  He'd shut down and not come near anyone standing up.

He's started on a potty walk schedule now that he's more comfortable walking on a leash with a person.  Going #1 and #2 on a leash is a big must for a potential adopter, and he's doing both fabulously!  We're still working on his resistance to going out the front door, but it's coming along with repetition, reward, and patience.

At my request, Ranaye allowed us to join her Wednesday Puppy Class.  He was brilliant!  He demonstrated his Go To Your Mat cue, as well as Sit, Touch, Name, and even some Leave Its.  He was just one of the gang at play time.  I was so proud of him.


Rubble's handling has continued to go extremely well.  He has retained his comfort with being petted, and really enjoys ear scratches, under the collar scratches, and strokes down his back.  A good back massage doesn't hurt, either.  He even allowed some of the staff to come over, sit next to him, and pet him during one of our sessions in the lobby.  He's definitely a staff favorite.

*     *     *     *     *


Fred had sort of a rough day on Monday this week.  He was not in a good state of mind, and was more shut down than I've had the pleasure of working with lately.  He had been in daycare most of the weekend, so we figured he was a bit stressed out.  Earlier in the morning, he had gotten into a scuffle with another puppy, and had started herd-nipping the staff. We had an easier day working in the kennel, instead of trying for the lobby.  We just did basic trust exercises:  Touch, Name, Go To Your Mat.  He wasn't up for handling whatsoever, so I didn't push it.

On Wednesday, he was the Fred I knew again, and we made good progress.  We flew through the exercises we did on Monday, and took it to the lobby.  He was very cautious of his surroundings, and had to check everything out before he could commit to any cues; but after determining there was no imminent threat, he would do it.  I just waited him out, let him think through it, and he showed me how much he really wanted to try.

On Friday, I resumed handling work, and we had a huge breakthrough.  I started with my basic chin-to-hand work, and he allowed me to work my hand back down his neck to his collar, where I could give him his first collar scratches.  He tolerated these fairly well, but should my hand move toward his ears, he would shake his head and pull away.  This is going to be a long, slow, process.

I was able to start taking Fred on a potty walk schedule this week.  He doesn't do as well in daycare as his smaller brother, so this is huge.  I'm happy to report, Fred also goes #1 and #2 on leash like a pro.  He has shown some dog reactivity in his kennel and on-leash, but as you can see, he loves to play with his brother.  We had a good session in the outside daycare area for Big Dogs.

We got to play outside Friday afternoon for a photo shoot.

The boys would play tag with me.  It was our first game together.
It was also really hot, so when they got to me, they would lie down.

I love Fred's eyes.  He's always so alert, intense.

I am honored to work with these boys.  I'm very attached, and the staff have already started dropping hints that I should take them home.  Were I not full with my wonderful three already, I would be tapping my husband on the shoulder. ;)

~Tasha Salsido, CTDI
Staff Trainer, Wags & Wiggles RSM



No comments:

Post a Comment